Monday, October 19, 2009

Chicken-Stuffed Tomatoes

I made this for a little dinner w/ some friends a couple of weeks ago.  It turned out good considering that I realized I needed almost twice as much as what the recipe called for so I had to try and make it work, and it did i think ... either that or that they were just being really nice.  Although the fact that half of em don't like tomatoes didn't help much, ha


Chicken - Stuffed Tomatoes
(Mine didn't quite look this good)


Ingredients:


1 Cup uncooked rosamarina (orzo) pasta (6 ounces)*

4 large tomatoes

1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped (1 cup)

2 cut-up cooked chicken(or turkey)
1/2 Cup ranch or creamy dill dressing


Directions:

  1. Cook and drain pasta as directed on package.  Rinse with cold water; drain.
  2. Cut stem ends from tomatoes.  Remove pulp, leaving 1/2-inch wall.  Chop tomato pulp; drain.  Cut thin slice from bottom of each tomato to prevent tipping.
  3. Mix past, chopped tomato and remaining ingredients.  Spoon 1/2 cup pasta mixture into each tomato.  Serve with remaining pasta mixture.  Or cut tomato shells into halves or fourths; divide pasta mixture evenly among tomatoes.

* 3 cups cold cooked rice can be substituted for the cooked pasta

Prep: 20 min
4 Servings


Substitutions:

Instead of the chicken use
Salmon-Stuffed Tomatoes: 1 can (14 3/4 ounces) salmon, drained and skin removed

Shrimp-Stuffed Tomatoes: 2 packages (5 ounces each) frozen cooked salad shrimp, thawed.

Tuna-Stuffed Tomatoes: 1 can (12 ounces) tuna, rinsed and drained.



2 comments:

Richard Summers said...

You are fantastic my friend! Purely and Utterly Fantastic, and might I add you taste like marshmallows....I think.

Unknown said...

Oh boy...
Looking for a recipe.
Notice there is a comment on one of them, and look what I find!
Only eight years later.
I don't think this thing notifies with comments. Must be how I never noticed.