Prep: 35 min; Rise; 1 hr 50 min; Bake 45 min
2 loaves, 16 slices each
3 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup honey
¼ cup shortening
1 Tablespoon salt
2 packages regular or quick active dry yeast (4 ½ teaspoon)
2 ¼ cups very warm water (120° 130°)
3 to 4 cups all-purpose* or bread flour
Butter or stick margarine, melted, if desired
*If using self-rising flour, decrease salt to 1 teaspoon.
1. Mix whole wheat flour, honey, shortening, salt and yeast in large bowl. Add warm water. Beat with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently. Beat on medium speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently. Stir in enough all-purpose flour, 1 cup at a time, to make dough easy to handle.
2. Place dough on lightly floured surface. Knead about 10 minutes of until dough is smooth and springy. Place dough in large bowl greased with shortening, turning dough to grease all sides. Cover bowl loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place 40 to 60 minutes or until double. Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.
3. Grease bottoms and sides of 2 loaf pans, 8 ½ x 2 ½ or 9 x 5 x 3 inches, with shortening.
4. Gently push fist into dough to deflate. Divide dough in half. Flatten each half with hands or rolling pin into 18 x 9-inch rectangle on lightly floured surface. Press with thumbs to seal after each turn. Pinch edge of dough into roll to seal. Press each end with side of hand to fold end under loaf. (See How to Shape Traditional Yeast Bread Loaves, I love pictures***) Place seam side down in pan brush loaves lightly with butter. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place 35 to 50 minutes or until doubled.
5. Move oven rack to low position so that tops of pans will be in center of oven. (I don’t think that I’ve ever don that) Heat oven to 375°.
6. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until loaves are deep golden brown and sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire rack. Brush loaves with butter; cool.
*** Will add when I get the chance
1 Slice: Calories 100 (Calories from Fat 20); Fat 2g (Saturated 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 220; Carbohydrate 20g (Dietary Fiber 2g); Protein 3g % Daily Value: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 0%; Iron 6% Diet Exchanges; 1 ½ Starch